The building "B" of the Council of Europe

 
 
bat B conseil
source : www.archi-strasbourg.org
Role :
With Germany and Iceland joining in 1950, and the growth in activities of the Council of Europe, the "House of Europe" was quickly found to be too small. Since 1953, the Council considered the extension of the building to be indispensable, and the town asked Bertrand Monnet to draw up plans for the "new building," to be created behind the existing structure. The current building "B" (whose construction began in late 1953) started being used in spring 1954. The top of this seven-floor building, its terrace covered by an amazing roof pointing skywards, offers an incredible view of the Cathedral of Strasbourg. The building "B" is today the oldest of the regional buildings belonging to the organisation, the "House of Europe" being destroyed in 1977.

Architectural information :
Date built : 1953
Architect : Bernard Monnet

Contact :
Avenue de l'Europe
67075 STRASBOURG CEDEX
Tel : +33 (0)3 88 41 20 00
Fax : +33(0)3 88 41 27 45
Email : infopoint@coe.int
 
Mplanap of the European district